JULY 23, 2019
Have we all melted yet? It looks as if we will be getting a break from the heat and humidity. Wonderful!
If you can bring yourself to do anything other than lie down and drink something ice cold, I have a nice recipe for you. It’s a vegetable frittata, and it includes some of that summer squash we’re geting. It’s simple to make and it’s pretty tasty.
1 1/2 TBS extra-virgin olive oil
1 c. chopped onions
1 c. thinly sliced mushrooms
1 c. diced red bell pepper
1 c. sliced zucchini or other summer squash
1 c. spinach, blanched, squeezed dry and roughly chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1/3 c milk
3/4 cup shredded gruyere, Swiss or mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. In a 10-inch pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat until it is “wavy”. Add the onions and saute until they are translucent. Add the mushrooms and cook until they release most of their liquid. Stir in the red bell pepper and the zucchini and cook until they soften slightly. Add salt and pepper and stir. Set aside.
3. Beat the egg just enough to combine the whites and yolks. Add 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Stir. Add the milk and 1/3 c. of the cheese and gently stir.
4. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetable mixture in the pan. Cook over medium heat (no stirring!) until the edges curl away from the side of the pan.
5. Put the skillet in the oven and bake until just puffed and set. Don’t overcook! Remove the pan from the oven, sprinkle the rest of the cheese on the top of the frittata and bake two more minutes. Switch your oven to “Broil” and broil briefly, just until the cheese is slightly golden.
6. Cut into wedges and serve.
HELPFUL HINT: This is delicious with a nice crisp green salad and some crusty bread .
Another helpful hint: Mushrooms should never be washed (they absorb water). Just wipe them with a damp paper towel or cloth.
One more helpful hint: how to blanch spinach. Wash the spinach thoroughly. Boil some water and put the spinach into it for 1 minute, then plunge the spinach into cold water. Squeeze out the moisture, then use.
NOTE: if you are vegan, most groceries have a variety of vegan cheeses available.
Stay cool everyone. Relief is coming!
Have a delicious week!