October 27, 2015
Hi everyone! I’m back from the Mediterranean, and I missed you all. We’re deep into fall veggies now, so bring something with wheels to collect your share, if you can.
Otherwise, bring those muscles.
This week’s recipe is from Martha Stewart.It’s a delicious and easy way to prepare butternut squash.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH BAKED RISOTTO
2 TBS extra-virgin olive oil
2 shallots, diced small
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp fresh thyme, leaves
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 medium butternut squash (2 pounds), peeled and diced medium (4 cups)
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 bunch kale, tough stems removed, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick strips
Grated Parmesan, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium Dutch oven or heavy ovenproof pot with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil over medium-high. Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 3 minutes.
3. Add garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Add rice and cook, stirring frequently, until opaque, about 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
5. Add wine and cook, stirring, until completely absorbed, about 2 minutes.
6. Add squash and broth; bring mixture to a boil.
7. Stir in kale. Cover, transfer to oven, and bake until rice is tender and most of liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
8. To serve, sprinkle with Parmesan.
Have a delicious week!