July 25, 2017
Wow, the weather has been so intense this past week! I hope the temperature and the humidity are going to be falling. In the meantime, we can still enjoy the beautiful fresh produce.
Today, I have a recipe I picked up in my travels. This one’s a Chinese dish, made with eggplants, spinach and garlic. It’s easy and delicious.
CHINESE EGGPLANT WITH SPINACH AND GARLIC
2 lbs white or purple eggplants
3 TBS peanut or safflower oil
2-4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bunch spinach, washed and roughly chopped (it’s ok to leave water on the leaves)
1 bunch parsley or cilantro, chopped
sauce: Mix the following with a bit of water:
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 TBS rice vinegar
2 tsp sugar
1 TBS soy sauce
TBS dark sesame oil
1 TBS black bean sauce
- Cut the eggplants into largish bite-sized pieces.
- Heat the oil and cook them over high heat.
- After 2 minutes, add the garlic and stir often, until the eggplants are mostly cooked through.
- Add the spinach and mix in until it’s wilted slightly, about 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce to the still-hot eggplant mixture.
- Stir in the parsley or cilantro just after removing from the heat, serve with rice.
I think you’ll enjoy the dish!
HELPFUL HINT: Never put your cooking knives in the dishwasher. Instead, immediately after using, wash them and dry with a towel. That’s the way to keep them sharp, and rust free.
I hope you enjoy this dish, this week’s vegetables and this lovely summer.
Have a delicious week!