Greetings, All, and welcome to Week 17. I think that, by now, we’re maybe all looking for something different to do with potatoes. They are wonderful this year, but a little variety is a good thing. So here’s a recipe for a delicious potato casserole. It’s not health food, so it’s not for every night. But, it is yummy!
DELICIOUS POTATO CASSEROLE
8 medium potatoes, scrubbed and dried
2 TBS olive oil
1 TBS kosher salt
3/4 lb sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
5-6 scallions, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Rub the potatoes with olive oil and salt and place on a baking sheet.
3. Bake for 45-60 minutes, flipping halfway through, until tender when pierced with a fork. Cool for 15 minutes.
4. Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
5. Cut the potatoes into bite-sized pieces and place in a bowl. Some pieces may fall apart. It’s okay!
6. Stir in mayonnaise and sour cream.
7. Set aside 1/3 cup cheese, 3TBS bacon and, 2 TBS sliced scallions for the top of the casserole and stir in the remaining ingredients.
8. Spoon the mixture into a greased 9×9 baking dish. Top with the reserved shredded cheese and bacon. Cover the dish with foil and bake in the 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, removing foil for the last 10 minutes, to crisp the top.
9. Top with remaining sliced scallions.
HELPFUL HINT: Kale is great for salad, but it tends to be tough. When making a kale salad, remove the stems and ribs and cut up the leaves. Then massage the cut-up leaves with your hands until they are tenderized.
Enjoy the recipe and the wonderful vegetables, and have a delicious week!