Week 21 already! We’ll soon be battening sown the hatches for winter, and thinking of next year’s CSA!
This week we’re getting quite an array of fall vegetable, including red cabbage. People ask me frequently for cabbage recipes. Cole slaw is great, but sometimes one needs a change. So here is a great red cabbage side dish.
CABBAGE WITH PANCETTA AND CARAWAY
2TBS extra-virgin olive oil
4 ounces pancetta, diced
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 tsp caraway seeds
1 1/2 lbs red cabbage (about one small to medium head), halved, cored, and finely shredded
1 cup chicken broth
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Heat a dutch oven or large, deep covered frying pan over medium heat. Add the pancetta and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes until the fat renders and the pancetta just starts to crisp.
3. If your pancetta is on the lean side, add about a 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan.
3. Add chopped onion and caraway seeds and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes until onion is translucent.
4. Add half of the shredded cabbage to the pan along with 1/2 cup of the broth, the salt, and a couple grinds of black pepper. Stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is half wilted. Add the remaining cabbage and broth to pan; stir. Cook for another minute, stirring every 20 seconds or so, until all the cabbage begins to wilt.
5. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for about 15 minutes, removing the lid to stir once, until the cabbage is tender but still slightly crunchy.
6. Taste, and add more salt and/or pepper if necessary. Stir in the cream.
7. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened. Top with parmesan cheese, if using.
Enjoy! And have a delicious week!