August 11, 2015
At last! Tomato season is beginning. This week’s share has both cherry tomatoes and some lovely slicers.
In the dog days of August, what could be more refreshing than gazpacho? Here’s a variation that uses both tomatoes and red peppers. So easy to make and so pretty when you serve it!
TOMATO AND RED PEPPER GAZPACHO
2 lbs ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 large cucumber, peeled and chopped
2 large red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbs lemon juice
4 Tbs olive oi
salt, pepper to taste
2 Tbs chopped tomato
2 Tbs chopped cucumber
olive oil for drizzling
basil leaves for decoration, optional
1. In a blender place the tomatoes, cucumber, garlic and red pepper. Blend until smooth.
2. Add the olive oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Blend again to combine.
3. Pour the gazpacho into a pitcher and place the pitcher in the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes.
4. To make the garnish, in a small bowl combine the tomato and cucumber. Serve the gazpacho drizzled with olive oil and garnished with chopped veggies and fresh basil.
HELPFUL HINT: This tastes great with crusty peasant bread. You don’t have to chop the vegetables for the soup very finely – just enough so they don’t overwhelm your blender.
To go with this dish, one needs a great beverage. So, here’s a refreshing cucumber and basil cool water drink recipe for you.
CUCUMBER AND BASIL AQUA FRESCA
2 large cucumbers
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup (packed) basil leaves
1/4 cup sugar or agave syrup, plus more to taste
1. Slice a few thin slices of cucumber and reserve for the garnish. Peel and coarsely chop the remaining cucumber.
2. Puree the chopped cucumber, lime juice, basil, 1/4 cup sugar, and 2 cups water in a food processor until very smooth.
3. Strain the puree into a pitcher and add 2 cups water, adding more sugar or water if needed
4. Chill the mixture until ready to serve.
5. Add the reserved cucumber slices just before serving.
Hope you enjoy these, and that they help keep you cool. Have a delicious week!