October 3, 2017
I think it helps, if you want to try to push the tragic events in Las Vegas out of your consciousness for a few hours, to cook up something simple and satisfying with fresh organic vegetables.
Today’s recipe uses seasonal squash and arugula – classic fall veggies.
SPAGHETTI SQUASH WITH ARUGULA PESTO
- 1 medium spaghetti squash(about 3 lbs)
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh arugula
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh basil
- 1/4 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese(1 oz)
- 3 TBS extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 TBS chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 – 3 TBS water (optional)
- Pierce the squash 6 or 7 times with a sharp knife. Microwave on 100 percent power (high) about 15 minutes or until tender.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise; cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, combine arugula, 1/2 cup basil, cheese, oil, walnuts, garlic, crushed red pepper, and salt in a food processor or blender. Cover and process until smooth, adding water, if necessary, to reach the desired consistency.
- Remove and discard (or roast and eat) the seeds from the squash. Using a fork, shred the squash pulp from the shell. Divide the squash among shallow serving bowls. Top with pesto and, if desired, additional basil.
That’s all there is to it! It will take you about 30 minutes from start to finish, and is yummy, hot or cold.
HELPFUL HINT: Want to make your own Bailey’s liqueur?
- 1 TBS vanilla
- 1 TBS instant coffee crystals
Put everything in a blender and mix it all up. That’s it. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy today’s recipes, and that they cheer you up a bit.
Have a delicious week!