OCTOBER 8, 2019
This was a nasty weekend, weather-wise, but the rest of the week looks fine for savoring Nature’s and Stoneledge Farm’s bounty.
This week we’re getting sweet potatoes! This casserole recipe will impress your friends and wow the family at Thanksgiving.
SWEET POTATO CRUNCH CASSEROLE
3 sweet potatoes
1 orange, zested (scrape off the orange part of the peel) and juiced
1 tsp cinnamon
1 TBS honey
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup diced dried apricots
1/2 cup oatmeal (uncooked)
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 TBS extra-virgin olive oil
2 TBS cold butter, cut into pea-sized pieces
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Put the sweet potatoes on a sheet tray and roast them for 35 to 40 minutes. If they are still a little firm in the center, don’t worry about that.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, make the topping: In a food processor, combine the oatmeal, brown sugar, olive oil, butter, and walnuts and pulse until the mixture firms up and comes together.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel them and cut them into 1-inch chunks.
- Put the potatoes into a large bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Mash them together until thoroughly mixed.
- Turn out the mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish. Crumble the topping over the potatoes. Bake the casserole until it is heated through and the topping is brown and crispy, about 30 minutes.
Have a delicious week!