October 29, 2019
We are nearly at the end of our season. Lovely fall vegetables are coming our way.
I hope you’re all coming to the potluck dinner on Tuesday, December 3. Families are welcome and you will have a great time!
It’s time to liven up our potato repertoire. How about a very simple but fancy presentation? It comes from the Hasselback Hotel in Sweden.
HASSELBACK POTATO FANS
4 medium potatoes
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 TBS each minced fresh chives, sage, and thyme
1. Preheat the oven to 425°. With a sharp knife, cut each potato crosswise into 1/8-in. slices, leaving slices attached at the bottom.
2. Fan potatoes slightly and place in a greased 13×9-in. baking dish.
3. Mix butter, salt and pepper, and drizzle the mixture over the potatoes.
4. Bake, uncovered, 50-55 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
5. In a small bowl, toss the cheeses with the herbs and sprinkle over the potatoes.
6. Bake about 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted.
This recipe can be used for sweet potatoes, too.
VERY HELPFUL HINT:
A wooden spoon can help you avoid cutting through the bottom of the potatoes. Position the spoon alongside the potato, then cut carefully until the blade hits the handle.
ANOTHER HELPFUL HINT
For a crispier potato, use olive oil instead of butter.
I hope you enjoy this dish through the winter.
Have a delicious week!