June 23, 2015
Welcome to Week 3!
It’s definitely summer. High heat and humidity are exhausting! So, a nice simple recipe for dinner is a boon.
Some of us are starting to get tired of endless salads, so this week’s share, which includes summer squash and beets, is a welcome upgrade.
This recipe for Italian squash torta is easy to make and will feed the whole family.
ITALIAN SQUASH TORTA
4 TBS butter
1 1/2 lbs yellow or green summer squash or zucchini, sliced thin
1 small onion, sliced or chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt (I like to use kosher salt)
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (If your pantry doesn’t contain anything by that name, make your own, red pepper flakes, oregano, thyme and basil)
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
8 ounces Monterey jack cheese, shredded
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1. Heat the butter in a large skillet and sauté the squash, onion and garlic until tender and lightly browned.
2. Sprinkle the seasonings over the squash while it is cooking. Don’t add the salt until the end, or it will get watery.
3. Put the squash mixture in a greased 10-inch quiche pan.
4. Stir in the cheese and parsley.
5. Whisk the eggs and cream in a small bowl; whisk in the mustard. Pour the egg mixture over the squash; stir in gently.
6. Bake at 375º for 25 minutes, until the egg is set and the top is lightly browned. Let stand a few minutes before cutting.
HELPFUL HINT: Variations include substituting sour cream or yogurt for the heavy cream, and adding mushrooms, peperoni, prosciutto or genoa salami. You can even add some of this week’s beets.
Stay as cool as possible, drink lots of water, and enjoy!
Have a delicious week.