June 27, 2017
I hope you have all been enjoying the vegetables we’ve been getting. They certainly have been beautiful and delicious.
Today’s recipe features the beets we’re getting. These biscuits, which come out looking pink and a little flatter than plain biscuits, are really tasty and easy to make.
3 small beets, trimmed and scrubbed
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 cups all purpose flour, plus more for flouring the board
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
8 TBS cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- In a saucepan, cover the beets with water 2 inches higher than the beets. Bring to a boil and then lower the flame and simmer until a knife easily pierces the beets (30 – 45 minutes).
- Drain and cool for 10 minutes, then rub off the skins and cut the beets in quarters.
- Puree the beets. You should have about 1 cup of puree. Transfer to a bowl and whisk in the buttermilk.
- Place your oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a medium-sized bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or two knives, until the butter is in pea-sized pieces.
- Chill until the butter is hard, about 10 minutes.
- Scrape the beet puree into the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture just comes together around the spoon. This will be a wet sticky dough, with chunks of butter visible.
- Turn the dough out onto a well floured surface and knead about 10 times, incorporating enough flour so the dough no longer sticks to your hands. Be sure to keep the board well floured.
- Pat the dough out until it is 1/8 inch thick. Use a biscuit cutter or a glass to cut the dough into 2 inch rounds.
- Place the biscuits on an ungreased heavy baking sheet and bake for 9 to 11 minutes. Let them sit for a few minutes and then serve. They are great with cream cheese.
HELPFUL HINT: After you cut the first round of biscuits, pat the flour out again and cut some more. This second round will not be as tender as the first ones, but they will still be delicious.
I hope you enjoy the biscuits and all the veggies.
Have a delicious week!