July 3, 2018
And welcome to the Baked Apple!
We’re going to be pretty steamy here for the next week or so. Which brings me to this week’s recipe. We are getting the first beets of the season and what could be more delightful than a beet salad? The unfortunate thing is that beets are a root vegetable and have to be roasted for most recipes. And who wants to turn on the oven in this weather? My best recommendation is to do this at night, when it’s a little cooler, or hold your beets until next week when it’ll be a little cooler in the city. If you do it, you’ll be rewarded with a cool delicious dish!
ROASTED BEETS AND FETA
4 medium beets, peeled and cut into half-inch pieces
1 TBS olive oil
1 tsp salt
pepper to taste
4 scallions, chopped
2 tsp lemon juice
Crumbled feta cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. Toss the beets with the olive oil, salt and pepper on a baking sheet.
3. Roast the beets until tender, stirring once or twice, approximately 35 – 40 minutes.
4. Transfer to a bowl and toss with scallions and lemon juice
5. Top with crumbled feta cheese
That’s it. If you can roast the vegetables and not melt, you’ll really enjoy this dish.
HELPFUL HINT: An easy way to peel the beets is to immerse them in boiling water for 1 minute, and then plunge them into ice water. The skins will slip off easily.
I hope you enjoy this dish and the Fourth of July holiday.
Have a delicious week!