Week 6! The good stuff continues to roll in! Have you seen the photo of the potato plants in bloom on the Stoneledge Farm web site? They’re gorgeous!
Among the goodies this week are eggplants. This easy recipe for eggplant balls is versatile. The eggplant balls can also be made into patties and eaten like burgers.
3 TBS olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups cubed eggplant, with peel
1 TBS water
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup dried bread crumbs
1. Preheat The oven to 350 degrees. Grease a baking sheet.
2. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Pour in the olive oil and saute the garlic until lightly browned. Don’t overcook the garlic or it will become bitter!
3. Sir in the eggplant and water. Reduce the heat to low and cover the skillet. Allow the eggplant to steam until soft, about 20 minutes. Place the eggplant in a large bowl and allow it to cool slightly.
4. Mix the cheese, parsley, eggs, and bread crumbs into the eggplant. Stir with a wooden spoon or your hands (I always use my hands to do this) until the ingredients are thoroughly combined and the mixture can be rolled into balls. Add more bread crumbs as needed to make the mixture workable.
5. Refrigerate the mixture for 15 minutes, then roll into balls or form into patties.
6. Place the eggplant balls on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
HELPFUL HINT: If you aren’t concerned about calories, these balls can be deep fried and served with marinara sauce on the side for a great appetizer.
Hope you enjoy this recipe – it’s so good! Have a delicious week.