JULY 31, 2018
We’re still here! Haven’t drowned or melted yet!
It’s tomato time! This week we are getting three different kinds of tomatoes. And tomatillos, those poor misunderstood green tomato lookalikes! Many people see them and say, “What am I supposed to do with these?” Fear not. I have a delicious recipe that uses tomatillos with chicken and jalapenos, to make a super soup. And it’s low calorie! Here it is:
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
2 TBS chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the oil over high heat in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Saute the chicken in the oil until both sides are browned, approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove the chicken, and set aside.
- Add the onions and garlic to the saucepan, and saute until golden. Stir in the tomatillos, jalapeno peppers, and broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover the pot, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Puree the vegetables in batches in a blender or food processor. Return them to pot, and reheat. At this point, taste the soup. If it is not piquant enough, add cayenne pepper or pepper sauce. Or leave it as is- your choice.
- Slice the chicken and then shred it. Stir the chicken into the soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When you are ready to serve, stir in the minced cilantro and ladle the soup into bowls. Put a dollop of sour cream on top of each portion, and let it melt a bit. Top each dollop with a single cilantro leaf, and serve immediately.
You’re gonna love it!
HELPFUL HINT: Your knives will last longer and stay sharper if you wash each one after each use and dry it instead of letting it lie there in the sink.
Can’t believe summer is half over! Enjoy it while you can.
Have a delicious week!