JUNE 17, 2019
I hope you all had a lovely Father’s Day, filled with warm memories and great food, whether you are a father, have a father, or neither.
This week we’re getting more greens (of course we are!), the Jewels of Spring. But, we’re also getting some root vegetables along with their own greens. These can be used to make wonderful dishes that use the whole plant. Today’s recipe is for beets and their greens, but if you’re getting kohlrabi, you can use the same recipe.
ROASTED BABY BEETS WITH SAUTEED BEET GREENS
1 bunch baby beets with tops, well-washed
2 TBS olive oil, divided
2 sprigs rosemary
Splash of balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
2. Cut the tops off the beets. Place in a roasting pan and toss with 1 tablesoon of olive oil and the rosemary.
3. Roast in the oven for approximately 30 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven and pull off the skins while still warm, and cut the beets in half.
5. Saute the beet greens until limp in the additional tablespoon of olive oil and add a splash of balsamic vinegar.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
6. To serve, plate the greens and place the beets on top.
HELPFUL HINT: To stem rosemary, grasp the stem and slide your fingers, from the top down, toward the end of the stem. The stem won’t break.
ANOTHER HELPFUL HINT: I like this dish with chopped, grated or minced garlic in the greens. Add it at the end and saute for a minute, then remove fom the heat.
Let’s all hope a few more sunny days are coming. The rain has been great for the crops, but I’m tired of frizzy hair and wet shoes.
Have a delicious week!