JULY 16, 2019
Hello from the Baked Apple!
We’re experiencing the dog days of summer. It is hot and hazy, which makes cool, clean food even better.
Today’s recipe is one that utilizes all those beautiful cucumbers we’re getting this week.
CUCUMBER SALAD WITH CHARRED ONIONS
1 Fresno chili, thinly sliced into rings (seeded if you want it less hot)
4 TBS red wine vinegar, divided
2 medium red onions, sliced 1/4 inch thick
4 TBS olive oil, divided, plus more for serving
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 medium cucumber, sliced into rounds
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
1. Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Combine the chili and 2 TBS vinegar in a small bowl; set aside.
2. Place the onions on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with 2 TBS of oil. Season with salt and pepper. Turn the onions to coat them with the oil. Grill the onions directly on the grate (or griddle) until lightly charred and softened, about 2 minutes per side.
3. Transfer the onions to a large bowl and toss with the remaining 2 TBS of vinegar and allow them to cool.
4. Coarsely chop ½ cup grilled onion and add it to the bowl.
5. Add the chili and its soaking liquid, the cucumber, dried oregano, and 2 TBS oil, and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve drizzled with more oil.
Grab a glass of cool white wine or lemonade and some crusty bread, and you have a perfectly fine summer evening dinner.
Helpful Hint: Don’t waste your time trying to find a way to slice onions that won’t make your eyes burn. Wear a pair of glasses, although they’ll only help a little bit. Just grin and bear it – and have a tissue handy.
I hope you enjoy this cool meal for a hot night.
Have a delicious week!