AUGUST 21, 2018
We’re at the midpoint of our season, and what a summer it’s been. Rain, rain and more rain! Fortunately for us, our farmer has endured, under great duress, and the farm has produced lots of wonderful vegetables.
We’re getting more bell peppers this week. They are great for stuffing, and today’s recipe is easy and delicious.
BELL PEPPERS STUFFED WITH CHICKEN
- 3 bell peppers, any color, halved, seeded and stemmed
- 1 TBS butter
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 can (16 oz) chicken broth
- 3 TBS grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp butter
- 2 portobella mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray the inside of the bell pepper halves with cooking spray and place them on a baking sheet.
- Bake the peppers in the preheated oven until slightly tender, about 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter and 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir 3 green onions, and add garlic.
- When the garlic is fragrant, add the chicken, ground black pepper, and cumin. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and its juices run clear, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the orzo and chicken broth and simmer until the orzo is cooked through but firm and the broth is absorbed, about 10 – 11 minutes.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into the bell peppers and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the cheese is melted, about 7 minutes.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil and 1 teaspoon of butter in a skillet; Cook and stir the portobella mushrooms and the remaining green onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the mushroom mixture onto each stuffed bell pepper.
HELPFUL HINT: Never salt or pepper mushrooms until the end of cooking them. They will dry out and taste awful. Add the salt and pepper when they’re cooked.
ANOTHER HELPFUL HINT: You can use any kind of cheese in this dish: mozzarella, brie, American – anything you like. They’re all good.
I hope you enjoy this dish. The leftovers freeze well and keep in the refrigerator for at least five days.
Have a delicious week!